What if property owners do not agree with their Appraised Value?

A team of appraisers makes every effort to ensure that all unique characteristics of a property are considered in establishing your property’s market value. When property owners have a concern regarding their appraisal or classification and do not agree with the Assessor's value, they should request an Informal Review.

The Assessor accepted 2018 Informal Review requests through May 31, 2018 from property owners who had concerns with their 2018 assessed values. The deadline for submitting appeals to the Shelby County Board of Equalization ended on June 29, 2018. If you have a data related issue relating to a physical characteristic such as a discrepancy in square feet of living area, bath counts, bedroom counts, etc., you may file a 2019 request for Informal Review after July 1, 2018.

The Informal Review is not an appeal. It is an opportunity for property owners to share information with the Assessor's Office to ensure all aspects of your property are considered in establishing its market value as of January 1 of the applicable year. While the Informal Review is not a required step in the appeals process, it does resolve most disputes without the need of filing an appeal.

There are three ways to initiate an Informal Review:

  1. Complete the Online Form. This is the fastest and most convenient way to initiate an Informal Review.
  2. Call the Assessor's Answer Center at 901-222-7001.
  3. Visit the Assessor's convenient location.

To assist in the Informal Review process, property owners should submit documentation that supports their opinion of the value of the property in question. Examples of such documentation include:

  • Sales prices of similar properties in the immediate area dated in the year(s) prior to the tax year Informal Review is requested. For example, if a property is being submitted for Informal Review for the 2018 tax year, sales dates of comparable properties should be in 2017 or 2016.
  • A recent private appraisal.
  • Photos of the property showing its exterior and interior condition.
  • For commercial and industrial properties, income and expense information over the past three years.
  • Any other information you believe will assist our appraisers in analyzing the property's market value.

Documentation/information may be submitted by using the Online Form, by faxing 901-222-7197, by mail, E-mail, or by dropping it off at one of two convenient locations. Please include your property’s parcel identification number on all pieces of documentation submitted.

Any owner or agent/investor requesting Informal Review of 25 or more parcels will be instructed to file an appeal with the Shelby County Board of Equalization (“SCBoE”). Any documents submitted will be scanned to verify the physical characteristics or other information. Any Informal Review request(s) of 24 or less that are submitted online will be processed if submitted by the annually announced deadline. Informal Review requests submitted by U. S. mail or commercial delivery service having computer tracking capability will be accepted if submitted with a postmark or keyed date (placed with the carrier) by the deadline.

An Informal Review will be forwarded to an Appraiser to perform an analysis using the information you provided in comparison to the Assessor’s qualified sales file.

After a careful analysis of your Informal Review, our Answer Center staff will contact you in writing to advise you of the results of the review.

Property owners who disagree with the results of their Informal Review can appeal to the Shelby County Board of Equalization.

Here's the appeal process:

  1. Shelby County Board of Equalization (SCBoE)

    The Board of Equalization is an independent body that meets beginning May 1, of each tax year. The SCBoE accepts appeals beginning May 1 of each year until the end of its regular session, which is June 30th in most years. Failure to file an appeal could result in the assessment becoming final without further right of appeal. For information and forms related to filing an appeal to the SCBoE, please contact the Board by calling 901-222-7300 or visit their website at boe.shelbycountytn.gov.

  2. State Board of Equalization (SBoE)

    If property owners disagree with the County Board of Equalization's resolution, they may appeal to the SBoE, which meets as needed in Shelby County. Anyone filing an appeal at the SBoE must pay a fee to defray part of the cost of processing and hearing property tax appeals at the state level. Part of the fee (up to $6) is for the cost of processing appeals and is nonrefundable. The remainder is for the cost of hearing appeals and is refundable to the extent the appeal is successful or resolved without a hearing. The fee is proportionate to the value of the property under appeal. For more information regarding appeals to the SBoE and fee schedule information, please visit the SBoE’s Website at www.tn.gov/comptroller/sb/. For additional information, you may contact the SBoE by calling 615-401-7883.

  3. Assessment Appeals Commission

    The next step is to appeal to the Assessment Appeals Commission. This Commission meets as needed in Shelby County.

  4. Tennessee State Board of Equalization

    The Tennessee State Board of Equalization holds periodic meetings in Nashville on an as-needed basis.

  5. Courts

    The final step in the appeals process is to file suit in Chancery Court.